Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - andyp
Hi everyone, i am looking to buy either a new Kia Ceed or Hyundai i30, and would appreciate any advice on which you think is best, in respect of build quality, likely reliability and dealer service etc. It will almost certainly be a petrol, and i will probably only be keeping it for 3 years, so the extra 2 year warranty on the Kia wont make any difference to me !

Rather vague subject line filled out with a little more detail.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/02/2008 at 18:49

Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - grumpy100
I can't see there being much difference in reliability, Kia and Hyundai are the same company, and the Cee'd and i30 are basically the same car under the skin. Al the major components are the same. I'd get whichever you thought was better value, or you like the look of more.

Proximity of a dealer might be a decider.
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - gordonbennet
Only my tuppence, i'm given to believe they are more or less the same car, and i've only driven the Kia, but i have had a truckload of them on board and have to say i was well impressed with the way the car appeared to be put together underneath. eg all fuel and brake lines inside tough plastic housing the entire length of floorpan, and lots of thick undersealing, how VW used to do it 25 years ago, dont suppose the Hyundai is any different.

Engines ran nice, very smooth and tourquey and no waiting 5 minutes for the power steering to fire up, unlike some.

My son has run Hyundai's and they have been totally reliable, so dont think you'll have any probs there, with either to be honest.

If twer me i'd go by how good the nearest dealer appeared to be and how much the similar models would cost you. (if a dealer can't be bothered to give you as much info and test driving as required, then not much chance they'll be bothered if it goes wrong)

Might be interesting to see how much the different dealers quote you for servicing, as the cars are almost identical.

Please post back any findings you make, i should imagine some of the backroom would like to know(i would)
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - The Honourable
Both cars have received good press reviews. SWMBO has run an 06 Tuscon petrol for 31K with no problems and good customer care. Do not necessarily expect class leading refinement, but these products cut through the hype of much more expensive machinary. Either car will suffice.
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - stunorthants26
I think the differences are in the details - I had a very close look at an i30 and was extremely impressed with the interior - superior to many mainstream brands yet cheaper - the sort of car that would make you feel very smug indeed.

The best way to do it is work out whats important and then weigh up which has the features that most matter to you. As I understand it, the Hyundai is slightly better on interior presentation but also slightly more money.

Only real differences in costs I can see would possible be servicing in term sof hourly rates charged and list price. I think they have slightly different suspension set-ups too.

Drive them both and you decide!
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - oldtoffee
Definitley test drive both including a motorway stint - the Kia's firm suspension and road noise come in for criticisms on tests and owner reviews on other sites. I haven't seen this criticism in many tests of the Hyundai but it hasn't been out as long.

The Kia has a 7 year, 100k mile warranty and the Hyundai 5 year, unlimited. If you're doing 25K+ miles a year then the Hyundai would still be in warranty as you go past 100K. If you're not, then the Kia's warranty would be a bit more useful to you and maybe the next owner.

Other people's comments about checking out servicing costs are spot on - SWMBO has a Picanto and the 2nd year (16K miles) service cost a steep 4% of the car's purchase price!

There doesn't appear to be much discount availale on either at the moment. drivethedeal offer £8 off the Kia and £250 off the Hyundai! I had a look at the Ceed six months ago and drivethedeal were offering it at £1,200 off list and when I asked the dealer if they could match or get close they said definitely not. They claimed Kia were hard on the case of dealers supplying at those prices. I didn't completely believe them at the time but maybe there was an element of truth.
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Hyundai now available with a 20% deposit and 3 years finance at 0%. Might be a good deal but I guess one will pay list price, obviously. A broker's discount price might be a keener deal, if one is available.
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - Manatee

It would be illegal for a dealer to offer you a choice of a discount or 0% APR - reason being that if you were to take credit then the discount you would forego would be a "charge for credit" and the APR would therefore not be 0%. I can't believe that dealers don't generally know this, so if they offer you "either...or..." then they're probably trying it on deliberately. Trading standards will back you up on this.

It's a bit more complicated when a broker's involved - I suspect if you could be bothered you could still force the point.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 03/02/2008 at 19:14

Thanks for your advice, a hard ride would definately steer me towards the Hyundai as i have a problem with my back.

Service intervals are 10k on the Kia and 12.5k on the Hyundai, and estimated service costs over 3 years are £666 on the Hyundai and £894 on the Kia (according to What Car), which percentage wise is quite a lot.

I think the next step will be to try and get an extended test drive of both.
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - Martin Wall
Reasonably large Ceed discounts at: www.autobytel.co.uk/NewCars/NewSearchResults.aspx?...D
and www.carfile.net/default.asp

Strangely enough the Kia has a 5 star Euro NCAP rating whilst the Hyundai only gets a 4 star rating.

www.euroncap.com/tests/Kia_Cee'd_2007/297.aspx
www.euroncap.com/tests/hyundai_i30_2007/302.aspx

I'm not convinced how much coverage either warranty really gives you if the clutch or exhaust breaks in 3 years for example. I would want to see the small print for any wear-and-tear exclusions...

I think the Ceed (what a stupid name that is) looks better, if bland, as the front end styling of the i30 is a bit 80s :-)
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - stunorthants26
Hyundai are very willing in the warranty department in my family's experience and the 5 year warranty is a full manufac' backed job rather than a dealer one.

My mums Coupe had an ABS fault, occurred just once and couldnt be replicated but they had the car for two weeks, gave us a Sonata as a loan car ( service managers ride ) and even though they couldnt find any fault, replaced the ABS pump having exhausted all other avenues that they could test. The car was two years old at the time and showing 25k - try getting that treatment at a Ford dealer.

A clutch or exhaust can go at 3 years old, nobody covers this sort of wear and tear that I know of.
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - Citroënian {P}
fwiw, I'm driving a range topping Cee'd petrol (LS? would have to go outside and check the back to be sure-anyway climate and ESP as standard) and it's a very nice car. The ride is fine, holds the road very well indeed a spirited drive from West Yorkshire to East Midlands airport yesterday and back, via Louth taking in all sorts of roads and conditions was despatched with ease.

Certainly, it make the journey a lot easier than it would have been in the MX5 and better than the C4 (but it does have a more powerful engine).

The firm seats and ride may work against you, but after about 8 hours in the car, I got out feeling fine.

Sorry that I can't compare to the i30 but if it's any help, the Cee'd is a very good car and I buy I'm sure you'd not regret.

I keep meaning to write up the car and compare it to the C4, will do this and post here.

Eventually!

Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - Martin Wall
For the OP - just noticed carfile have large discounts on pre-registered i30 - so you don't get the latest plate or the 3 year 0% finance deal but you get between £1500-£2400 off. I haven't seen the i30 with a decent discount apart from this. The Ceed seems to be permanently discounted with some brokers however.
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - oldtoffee
I dropped in to my local Hyundai dealer today and was told that the i30 petrol models are the big sellers and he'd struggle to locate one in the dealer network. Not so the diesels - he has 3 diesel demonstrators. Also the 0% finance is for up to 5 years (20% deposit). I ready reckon on a higher spec diesel this could be over £2,000 savings on interest at 6.8% APR. Reckon you could get some sort of a deal on a diesel and the 0% finance making it a very attractive purchase.

Didn't test drive the car but had a good look over. I like the styling especially from the rear and sides and the cabin quality looks and feels very good indeed. I'll be booking a test drive with SWMBO (she likes it a lot) as her Picanto approaches the end of its lease.

Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - Kia-World
I'd suggest you to take the cee'd if you prefer sportier ride or i30 if you are more for comfortable ride.
www.kia-world.net
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - colinh
Had a look at all three models of the Kia (cee'd, pro_cee'd, and cee'd_sw) this week, and the i30. The quality of the Hyundai interior was impressive compared to the Kia and I marginally preferred it's overall design, but it was let down by the "orange peel" paintwork on the sample I saw. The Hyundai dealer here in Spain was gnashing his teeth because they are only offering 3 years warranty here against the Kia 7 years - the latter is full warranty for 5 years, then a further 2 years for engine and transmission (I believe this is different in UK). There have been negative comments regarding the "C" pillar width and rear visibility on both makes, and I would agree - definitely rear parking sensors required

Equipment for the different trim levels on the i30 were a strange mix - automatic on 1.6 diesel only with the third trim level. Sunroof /cruise control/leather only available on 2.0 petrol/diesel as the 4th trim level. Only options - Bluetooth, metallic paint.

Kia dealer showed an approximate 10% discount on the specification/pricing display panels beside each model, and the local equivalent of "What Car" is suggesting 12-13% is available on cee'd if you try - 9% on the i30
It would appear that apart from the ride quality there doesn't seem to be much to choose between them. I think that i am just going to have to try and get an extended test drive of both cars and see which one suits me best.

Do they share the same engines/gearboxes or do Hyundai and Kia both use their own ?
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - bintang
I decided between the two yesterday. A local Kia salesman made the choice much easier for me. I telephoned and said I was interested in a C'eed and asked how long an unaccompanied test drive I could have (recently Kia were offering a whole week). Reply, "We don't give cars for free hire"! I was reminded of a sales training film I used to use titled "Don't Worry, it's only a Customer" and found his response as offputting as his grammar, so rang off.

I then called the Hyundai dealership about an i.30 and was told "Take it all day if you want". When I got there the salesman said "Now, I've put a nice lot of petrol in the car. You just take your time on making your mind up." So off I went in the basic "Comfort" petrol i30 1.4. The engine seemed very powerful for its size and the weight of the car. It was spacious enough for five adults (although the boot is more a 3- or 4-adult size) and very comfortable, with some nice little touches, like steering wheel audio controls. Aircon is standard whereas it costs £500 on the basic new Focus. Alloys are standard across the range. It was a relaxing motorway cruiser but be warned that, for a back sufferers, the ride on lesser A roads and below is a bit harsh and an extra cushion might be advisable. Comfort models have 15" wheels and the ride would doubtless be worse on the 16" and 17" ones of other versions. It took tight curves well at speed. The build quality seemed very high. Free breakdown cover is full with the RAC for three years, not just "roadside assistance" for the final two, as with some cars.

I could only spare 1 1/2 hours but the problems came when I tried to buy , since the supply shortage emerged. The 1.4 petrol seems to be the star and I was told there would be none available in the entire country till late April at the earliest. I had to break off negotiations and went home disappointed. The following morning I began again over buying the 1.6 petrol. This is said to be less good although, oddly, its petrol consumption is about the same. I settled for this for delivery in two weeks and got the best trade-in price I could have expected plus about 8% discount and 0% finance over 3 years on the balance. I believe 0% over 4 years is offered on some models.

The comparisons are with the C'eed, Focus and Golf so ideally you should be try all four. The i30 will probably come top on a cost/value basis. Also check out HJ's comments and those of What Car?, Autocar, Top Gear etc. Or check if Hyundai will bring out their version of the Pro-ceed.

Incidentally, savvy marketers know that there is a good chance people will like products if they get a chance to sample them at length. Half and hour on the bypass with a saleman simply won't do.
I do suffer from back pain, so i am a bit concerned that you found the ride harsh in an i30 that was fitted with 15"wheels, as it is supposed to have a softer ride than the "sporting" set up in the Kia.
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - gordonbennet
Thanks for that report Bintang, and hope you have pleasure in your new car.

I hope also that some dealer principals take note of your experience (i bet the Kia chap on the phone thought he was a true wit)
Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - Martini.Olland

Maybe this comparison will help you to take right decision. Look here: similarcar.com/en/Hyundai-i30-I-Hatchback-Facelift...l

Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - skidpan

Think the OP may have made a decision by now. The thread was 6 1/2 years ago.

And what a brilliant site that is. It compares the old model Hyundai 5 door diesel with the new model Pro-Ceed (3 door) petrol.

Even WhatCar have never been quite that stupid.

Edited by skidpan on 10/09/2014 at 10:17

Sorry, that is my fault. I have just pasted the wrong link. But the site allows to compare whatever you want cars.

This one should be more accurate: similarcar.com/en/Hyundai-i30-II-Hatchback-3d-1.4-...l

Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 - Advice please. - alan1302

Sorry, that is my fault. I have just pasted the wrong link. But the site allows to compare whatever you want cars.

Still way too late for op though!