New Suzuki Swift - mcb100
Just taken delivery of a new Swift and running it for a couple of weeks.
I’ve done a predominantly motorway 180 mile drive in it so far, but initial impressions are very positive.
There are two trim levels, Motion and Ultra, with Motion supplying lots of standard equipment (including heated front seats, adaptive cruise control, wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, rear parking camera).
Ultra adds climate control (as opposed to manual A/C), electrically folding door mirrors and a heater vent for rear passenger, amongst other features.
It’s a new engine, a 1.2 three pot with mild hybrid and a five speed manual (CVT is available as an option, as is AWD). 82PS doesn’t sound overly impressive, but it seems a torquey little thing and will keep up with traffic. Motorway cruising is very quiet, thought I could do with a slightly longer seat runner on it, just to get another notch back.
A 9” touch screen sits high on the dashboard, but there are lots of physical buttons around.
64.2mpg is the combined WLTP figure, this one did 58 from a brand new engine on a 70/73mph cruise home on Thursday.
This is a huge car for Suzuki, hoping to capitalise on the disappearance from the market of a couple of B segment hatches - namely Fiesta and Ibiza.
It’s in dealers now, with preview evenings happening over the next couple of weeks.
New Suzuki Swift - paul 1963

I've got a test drive booked!

New Suzuki Swift - Engineer Andy

I just looked up the specs on the 'new' car on the Suzuki website, and whilst it has a generally decent spec (only two trim levels for the standard one), the performance of the 1.2 engine is essentially the same as its predecessor, which was...not terrible, but not exactly living up to the car's name.

This is why I would prefer either the significantly extra grunt of a 1L turbo like those in the VAG cars, or a larger displacement N/A engine like the 1.5 in the Mazda2, which is more spritely even in its most de-rated version of its engine because of the extra power and torque on tap.

I don't mind cars being able to have the proverbial nuts thrashed (Civic Type R from the mid 2000s etc, even the 'old' Suzuki Swift Sport), but other than that, no, and such cars are really 'A to B' and shopping cars, which is fine if that's what people want, especially if they are great in most other respects, especially on efficiency, which obviously is a very important factor these days.

Are Suzuki intending to bring a Sport with a much more powerful engine to market this time out? I might still consider the standard one in the future, though not new, given the £18k+ price tag for the 'base' model. The performance would be a step down from my (hardly quick, but fine) 18yo Mazda3 1.6 petrol (0-60 in 11.2sec), but then its still a good deal better than my first car, a 1L Micra (0-60 in 14.5sec or so).

It's amazing how much car prices have gone up in recent years, especially at the smaller end of the market. I remember not that long ago when such cars were going for much nearer £10k (often on the low side) than £20k.

Still, at least the latest auto version isn't a DCT or automated manual, hopefully its a reliable unit and not the sort that wasn't IMHO that used to be fitted to Nissans and the like.

New Suzuki Swift - maz64

or a larger displacement N/A engine like the 1.5 in the Mazda2

I had one of those before the current MINI Cooper, with the mid-rated 90ps engine. And I felt that was the main problem with it - it definitely lacked grunt, you had to make use of the stick to get it to move (decent 9.4s 0-62 if you did). Not particularly refined either.

New Suzuki Swift - bazza

Good to know Suzuki have kept their small car design philosophy going, on an age of absurdly ponderous SUVs and hulking EVs. We have the previous version 1.2 and it's a really fun car to own and drive. It has roughly the same modern day feel and performance of a classic cooper s, which is ideal for me, being a mini fan! Of course it's not fast these days but it'll top 100 easily and more than adequately keep up with traffic and on a twisty road it's in it's element. Long may Suzuki keep churning them out!

New Suzuki Swift - Metropolis.
I hope this is a success for Suzuki, they are a great company and a bit of an underdog in some ways. Sadly I could not stomach a 3 cylinder engine. I know there are some potential benefits in power delivery but I would take a 4cylinder any day just for refinement. Sitting idling in a 3cyl is pretty uncomfortable!

I wonder who the CVT is sourced from, surely either JATCO or Aisin? Thank goodness it is not a robotised manual.

Would still be my go to pick for a supermini.
New Suzuki Swift - maz64

I know there are some potential benefits in power delivery but I would take a 4cylinder any day just for refinement. Sitting idling in a 3cyl is pretty uncomfortable!

The first thing my 86 year old mum commented on when I gave her a ride in my 3 cyl MINI Cooper was how much more refined it was than my previous 4 cyl Mazda2. It depends :)

New Suzuki Swift - skidpan

Sadly I could not stomach a 3 cylinder engine. I know there are some potential benefits in power delivery but I would take a 4cylinder any day just for refinement. Sitting idling in a 3cyl is pretty uncomfortable!

You obviously have not driven or been passenger in a modern 3 cylinder car, if you had been you would not be making these crazy statements.

Get a drive in a VAG 1 litre TSi and enjoy the power delivery and refinement at all speeds.

New Suzuki Swift - Metropolis.
Blimey, bit strong there Skidpan!

Nothing crazy in what I said. 3cyl are not known for smoothness.
The first modern 3cyl I drove was the latest Peugeot based Vauxhall Corsa and i honestly thought it was a diesel.

I have absolutely no interest in VAG products sorry.
New Suzuki Swift - skidpan
Blimey, bit strong there Skidpan! Nothing crazy in what I said. 3cyl are not known for smoothness. The first modern 3cyl I drove was the latest Peugeot based Vauxhall Corsa and i honestly thought it was a diesel. I have absolutely no interest in VAG products sorry.

Nothing strong, just true.

Not driven a Corsa (or anything with the Selantis engine but most say how good it is.

Try a VAG TSI before saying any more crazy things.

We now have a Toyota Yaris with the 3 cylinder 1500 hybrid. Engine lovely and smooth but since it cuts at idle I have no ide how smooth it is then.

New Suzuki Swift - bathtub tom

We now have a Toyota Yaris with the 3 cylinder 1500 hybrid. Engine lovely and smooth but since it cuts at idle I have no ide how smooth it is then.

I believe Toyota have (or are going to) put balancer shafts in their 3-pots.

New Suzuki Swift - John F
3cyl are not known for smoothness. .....I have absolutely no interest in VAG products...

I'm a fan of 3-pots. I have four of them under the bonnet of my 'VAG product' and Mrs F has one under hers. Smooth as a silky smooth thing ;-)

New Suzuki Swift - SLO76
I do like a Swift, and I’m glad to hear they’ve injected a bit of additional character by putting a 3cyl motor in it.
New Suzuki Swift - Xileno

Maybe we just accept we all have different experiences and opinions. It will largely depend on what you're used to. I've not owned a 3 cyl engine but have driven many as hire or pool cars through work. I can't say I found any of them unrefined. The ones I've driven had a slightly distinctive 3 cyl noise but I wouldn't call it unrefined. Quite characterful actually. So far my favourite is the Ford 1.0 but I wouldn't buy one due to the many negative historic comments about its durability. Hopefully the new ones are ok and then I would consider.

From memory I've driven a 2017 Yaris with the 1.0 3 cyl that I assume is the same engine as the Aygo. I enjoyed that. Also i20 I think or it might have been a Kia. Also a few Renaut 1.2s in Capturs.

I've not driven any TSi and would like to.

I'm also interested in this new Swift as there is a dealer very close to me which would be convenient for service.

Edited by Xileno on 13/04/2024 at 16:16

New Suzuki Swift - groaver

Always like Suzuki as a brand (even sold them) for being a bit different like Subaru.

I can't say I think the styling of the new Swift is an improvement though.

A bit "dumpy" looking for a small car.

Mind you, what is attractively styled these days?

New Suzuki Swift - Adampr

Suzuki were going down the route of MHEV, which I presume they're sticking with here. They do it properly, so that it provides the shove you need to get off the line. With that in place, 1.2 should be fine surely.

As for three cylinder engines, we have one in our Twingo and it's not a problem. They do tend to pop up in smaller noisier cars anyway, so you would hardly notice the difference. The Fiat two cylinder 'twinair,' on the other hand, makes a very 'distinctive' noise.

New Suzuki Swift - Ethan Edwards

I had a 3cyl one litre swift turbo...loved that car. Sadly they discontinued the one litre turbo for emissions reasons. The 1.4turbo engine is a peach. Had it in a Vitara S. 1.4 in a Vitara S.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 13/04/2024 at 19:24

New Suzuki Swift - Engineer Andy

Always like Suzuki as a brand (even sold them) for being a bit different like Subaru.

Mind you, what is attractively styled these days?

The inside looks fine, but the exterior isn't in my view as good as the one two generations ago (which also had nice 'two-tone' or striped paint jobs). I agree that it looks like it's been eating one too many 'pies' over the years (the last version was similar).

Personally I don't like the styling of a lot of cars from the last 5-7 years - many are too fussy or extravagant. Simple and elegant is what I like - one of the reasons I like Mazdas, though admittedly the standard (non-Yaris clone full hybrid) Mazda2 is to me the least good looking of their range at the moment, though certainly not an unattractive car by any means.

I suspect that the perceived unevenness of a three cylinder is the sound of one playing games.

Yes, when setting off from a standstill it can have a ‘plug lead off’ aural output, but in terms of vibration at idle there’s nothing to differentiate it from a four pot. That’s on the rare occasion it does idle and the hybrid hasn’t shut it down.

It’s 400cc per cylinder, which Keith Duckworth (the ‘worth’ in ‘Cosworth’) described as the best compromise in terms of cylinder capacity.

Edited by mcb100 on 14/04/2024 at 14:17

New Suzuki Swift - badbusdriver

Sadly I could not stomach a 3 cylinder engine. I know there are some potential benefits in power delivery but I would take a 4cylinder any day just for refinement.

Haven't you stated on the forum, more than once, that your minimum cylinder requirement is 5?. If so, its a moot point isn't it, seeing as you wouldn't actually have either!

I'm also not at all impressed by the new look. It's weird because the dimensions of the car are pretty much identical (leading to the notion that this is more an extensive facelift than an all new car), so the proportions are the same, yet it looks (as you say) dumpy, and bulbous.

I suspect that the perceived unevenness of a three cylinder is the sound of one playing games.

I'd agree here. Yes, horses for courses and all, but the notion that sitting in a 3 cyl car at idle is actually uncomfortable?, seriously?!.

My first encounter with a 3 cyl engine was in the early 90's when someone turned up at the Saab dealership where I worked with a (circa 1990) Daihatsu Charade and I've been a fan of the noise they make ever since.

‘ I'm also not at all impressed by the new look. It's weird because the dimensions of the car are pretty much identical (leading to the notion that this is more an extensive facelift than an all new car), so the proportions are the same, yet it looks (as you say) dumpy, and bulbous.’

I first saw new Swift in November last year, and I’d have agreed with you having only seen in under artificial light (it was still embargoed at the time, so every time it came out of the building it had to be covered up).
Now I’ve seen it in daylight, and mine’s in the launch colour (Frontier Blue), I’m happier with it.
New Suzuki Swift - badbusdriver
‘ I'm also not at all impressed by the new look. It's weird because the dimensions of the car are pretty much identical (leading to the notion that this is more an extensive facelift than an all new car), so the proportions are the same, yet it looks (as you say) dumpy, and bulbous.’ I first saw new Swift in November last year, and I’d have agreed with you having only seen in under artificial light (it was still embargoed at the time, so every time it came out of the building it had to be covered up). Now I’ve seen it in daylight, and mine’s in the launch colour (Frontier Blue), I’m happier with it.

Yes, I guess it would be better to reserve judgement till I've seen one in the flesh. But ultimately, the looks of a car aren't that important to me overall, plus you can't see them when sat behind the wheel!.

Just dropped off the Swift after 1500 miles in just over two weeks.

And I have to say, I enjoyed having it.

No, it’s never going to win the traffic lights Grand Prix but it’ll sit at motorway speeds in relative peace and quiet and keeps up nicely with traffic.
Had it just been me driving it, it’d have been over 60mpg but enthusiastic other drivers managed to lower the average.
The lack of a sixth gear never caused any consternation as it’s pretty long legged in fifth for something that small.
No squeaks, no rattles, just solid Japanese build quality (but built in Hungary), I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a sensibly priced small hatch.
And, unusually for me, I’d probably go for the lower Motion trim level. The small extra spec on the Ultra, for me, doesn’t warrant the extra money.
New Suzuki Swift - Adampr

Good to hear. I meant to say before, having spent a while sat in a Suzuki showroom recently, they're not bad looking at all in the flesh. Really quite Swift-like, but with more angular headlamps.