Suzuki Swace - Some views as requested by GB - groaver

As gordonbennet asked on another thread a few weeks back for thoughts as to living with a Swace, I asked my MIL for her thoughts.

Hers was bought at a year and a few months old having barely turned a wheel (~200 miles). It is the lower spec model of the two available at the time.

She appears to be averaging around the 60 mpg mark with most journeys being 15-20 miles in mainly rural roads with the occasional motorway trip.

She is no longer a quick driver and this mpg is possibly as a result of this as she tends to sit well below spped limits (40 out of town, 60 on motorways).

Having been in the car a couple fo times as it has been driven I noted the typical CVT drone which many do not consider to be an issue - I don't like it. Otherwise as quiet as any small modern estate.

The controls are near identical to Toyota as you would expect with SatNav being a notable omission (who needs it if you can use ACP/AA - but not wirelessly).

Trim inside is quite plain but seat fabric appears hard wearing.

The boot has had to carry two large dogs frequently and the plastic trim is showing some signs of wear due to scratches. The boot floor itself has two settings for depth and the carpet whilst hard-wearing is full of dog hair and mud. It took a good 3/4 of an hour recently to get most of it out. A load liner is a must, I would say if you carry animals.

She is on a service plan so i cannot advise on cost of the servicing.

Nothing has went wrong to date in the 12,000 miles it has covered. at 2.5 years old the front tyres (Bridgestones) are on 3-3.5 mm with the rears on 5mm from gentle driving.

The colour of the car is an unusual dark brown/purple metallic which is not standing up well to marks and scratches, especially at the rear hatch and bumper (dogs again!).

Noticable as I wash it now and again, is the fact that the alloys never seem to have any brake dust on them and the alloys are still in excellent condition. This has not always been my experience on Japanese cars.

I am not sure if I have missed anything or you want answers to other matters.

Let me know and I can only ask! :)

Also -

James Batchelor the journalist recently put out a six month review himself that may be useful if you haven't had a chance to see it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkuSxJpOFjw

Suzuki Swace - Some views as requested by GB - Big John

Noticable as I wash it now and again, is the fact that the alloys never seem to have any brake dust on them and the alloys are still in excellent condition. This has not always been my experience on Japanese cars.

Interesting - that I think is more because of regenerative breaking being rather effective so the brake pads etc not required.

There is a lot to like about the Swace and it still has buttons/knobs to operate heating etc.The boot is also impressive. It's very refined especially the recent more powerful version and my friends who have recently acquired a new one are getting 60+mpg.. It's shod in 205 55 r16 tyres a size I currently have had on my current and previous Superbs and really like but found Brigestones didn't last long but I'm getting 35k+ miles out of a set of Michelin Crossclimates, they are quiet and the ride is sublime.

Unfortunately for me at 6ft 4" tall I just don't fit in the Swace, Or Corolla..

PS - Great review.

Edited by Big John on 29/02/2024 at 20:55

Suzuki Swace - Some views as requested by GB - gordonbennet

Thankyou so much for that excellent comprehensive write up Groaver, much appreciated, and please pass on our regards and thanks to your MiL for her thoughts and comments.

Swace or its Corolla twin was on the very likely this year plan, and we're hoping that's still the case, but there are changes now proposed at work which might see me retiring one way or another, so the plans pencilled in car wise may have to be postponed or shelved for the time being.

We would also go for the lower or mid spec, we both prefer switches for things like heating controls (Forester is excellent too, Japanese switchgear just works as it should) and that tyre size is probably one of the best available, very reasonable prices and enough sidewall for a compliant ride, which doesn't appear to be the case with the sportier higher spec models on low profiles.

Regarding the wheel condition, they're probably painted alloys and not those hopeless diamond cut and laquered things that look great for a week or two and awful after a couple of salty winters, indeed the original 17" alloys on our Forester are similarly plainted offerings and coming up to 16 years still as good as new, again sensible size tyres so no kerb damage.

Can't argue about your MiL's fuel figures, something that we'll be more concerned about possibly soon, for aformentioned reasons.

Do you, or she or anyone else, turn the regenerative braking off sometimes and give the brakes a bit of a work out, i understand rear discs in particular can suffer badly with corrosion because they seldom see any real use.

The only thing i don't like about them is the electric park brake (something we've never wanted and hoped to be able to avoid for the rest of our days), i'm trying to find more info about the system to see if sensible use of lubes and/or sealants or corrosion prevention could help prolong the life of the motors and linkages.

Edited by gordonbennet on 29/02/2024 at 21:17

Yes, you are both correct about the Regen brakes "saving" the pads.

GB, as she is a mature lady, she won't have considered turning regen off as she won't be aware of it. I don't wish to complicate things for her either.

It had a service last month and they didn't pick up on corrosion on the rears.

Having washed it recently, I cannot say I noticed the discs to be in a poor condition either.

You are correct about the alloys. Both of my Mazdas are not diamond-cut. I really don't like them for the reasons you give plus I think they can sometimes look a bit flash (I suppose that is an alloy wheel's job these days).

Parking brakes are an invention for servicing agents but honestly, in three cars of differing makes, I haven't had any issues. VAG x2 and Mazda.

I envy you if your retirement isn't forced and you get to choose your time. :)

Suzuki Swace - Some views as requested by GB - Big John

I envy you if your retirement isn't forced and you get to choose your time. :)

Covid kind of "forced" my retirement in that when I stopped doing a stupid commute during lockdown I didn't want to go back to it!

Suzuki Swace - Some views as requested by GB - Ian_SW

GB, as she is a mature lady, she won't have considered turning regen off as she won't be aware of it. I don't wish to complicate things for her either.

Can regen braking even be turned off? I've been driving mine for 2 years now and haven't come across any way of doing that. The other reason why the brakes aren't used much is that when braking if regenerating can't slow the car enough, at high speed the transmission does its part as well - harsh braking at 40mph+ will cause the revs to go up significantly. It pretty much hit the red line when I had to slam the brakes on for a deer which came out of the hedge in front of me a few months back which was a bit disconcerting. The car stopped seriously quickly and fortunately before I hit the deer, which just stood there staring at me.....

To add my own review comments, I had one issue with mine in the last two years. This was a failed window regulator which seemed to flatten the battery too and necessitated an AA callout for a jump start (I could have done this myself from my wife's car but didn't want there to be any possibility of me being labelled as a possible cause for the battery issue). Everything was fixed under warranty without quibble by the very helpful dealer, including a replacement battery.

It drives exactly as I expected (like a Toyota Corolla!).

Good things;

1. It does 60mpg without much effort.

2. I find the seats really comfortable (though I'm smaller than the average adult male, so may not suit everyone else quite as well)

3. For a modern car, the "driver aids" (Lane assist, automatic emergency braking etc.) are fairly non-intrusive and work well.

4. The boot is surprisingly large for the external size of the car.

I have found a few minor annoyances though:

1. The auto hold has to be switched on every time you start the car, and after you put the seatbelt on.

2. The interior lights, if switched on don't automatically go off when the car is locked.

3. The warning noise (a strange whistling whine) when running in EV mode below 20mph is quite loud and horses really don't seem to like the sound of it coming up behind them (I don't own a horse - this is from my experience as a driver!)

4. It's really quite difficult to clean well, inside and out. This is mostly down to the large number of weird angles, nooks and crannies, creases etc. Getting all the flies off the front in the summer can take best part of half an hour if I want to do the job properly. The carpet in the boot is also difficult to hoover - bits of grass seem to get threaded through the carpet fibres and have to be picked out by hand.

5. When you use a USB stick to play music on the stereo, it plays album tracks in alphabetical order rather than in the order they are on the album - annoying with music, makes audio books impossible!!

6. The USB port only supports one device even if you use a splitter - so you can't have Android Auto and music off a USB stick at the same time.

Overall, for what was a bit of a distress purchase on my part (almost the only nearly new estate car I was able to get locally at short notice at a half decent price in the midst of the car supply crisis in early 2022) it's been pretty satisfactory.

You definitely have to learn to work with the transmission when driving to keep the revs down - a lot of the issue I found was that because the engine revs remain constant when accelerating it's easy to think the car isn't accelerating because the noise doesn't change and press the accelerator harder. When I first had the car, I found it easier to keep the revs down by turning the radio up so I stopped listening to what the engine was doing. "Normal" mode is also a not nicer to drive than "Eco" with no real difference in economy, "Eco" just deadens the throttle response to the point where you end up overcompensating and sending the revs sky high.

Many thanks too for your in depth additions there, Ian_SW.

The audio idiosyncracies wouldn't worry us, if it has no CD player the chances are i'll only use DAB commercial radio stations.

Odd about auto hold not being well auto on, though Toyota (which it is under the skin) have form for going against the grain with such things, 2008 on Avensis the dashboard electric park brake button worked opposite to every other electric park brake i've seen, ie push for on pull for release.

I'd quite forgotten about lane assist, its something i increasingly turn off in trucks (thankfully only lane departure warning and not lane assist, yet) because due to the width and length of the vehicles meaning regularly straying onto continuous white lines and the sensitivity of the system picking up seams and old markings in the road warning buzzers are forever going off, plus if the Swace/Corolla lane assist is one of those that tries to nudge the steering i'd want to be able to turn it off easily and possibly get it programmed out altogetther...hopefully an updated version of the software i use on my current Toyota would do the business.

Good point abut learning to get the best from the transmission and hybrid system, though anyone interested in their vehicles i would hope tries to become one with their vehicle.

I too, like SLO, would maybe have preferred the Corolla 1.2T petrol version for its simplicity, but neither SWMBO or i particular want to go back to manual transmission, we've had smooth as silk TC autos for the last 20 odd years in every car and i dislike how the manual VW group pool cars at work drive, i used one of daughter's Civics last year for a month and whilst a decent enough car considering its age and mileage that month confirmed i'd prefer not to go back to manual unless no other choice.

Much obliged for your input there Ian.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/03/2024 at 06:32

Suzuki Swace - Some views as requested by GB - corax
I too, like SLO, would maybe have preferred the Corolla 1.2T petrol version for its simplicity, but neither SWMBO or i particular want to go back to manual transmission, we've had smooth as silk TC autos for the last 20 odd years in every car and i dislike how the manual VW group pool cars at work drive.

What don't you like? Are they mk3's*? I usually find that VAG are easy to drive. Is it just the manual box? Are they 2.0 diesels with a narrow power band?

*EDIT - Octavias

Edited by corax on 01/03/2024 at 13:12

Suzuki Swace - Some views as requested by GB - tim10597

A really helpful review, thank you! I am very tempted with one of these for my next car. My daughter has a Baleno which has been very good and whilst I know the Swace is very different, I think it would tick all the boxes I need in a car. Your review has pretty much confirmed that!

Suzuki Swace - Some views as requested by GB - SLO76
Very helpful review, thanks.

Left to my own devices I’d buy a used Corolla estate but I’d stick with the cheaper 1.2t instead as the hybrid adds a load of additional cost that only high mileage users will ever recoup and I prefer the 6 speed manual box over the hybrid transmission. They command a large premium over the manual petrol models due to demand from taxi fleets, which tells you all you need to know about how tough the things are. Taxi drivers truly test cars to destruction and they love these wee Toyota hybrids.

Sadly SWMBO dislikes the seats in Toyota’s (even though they’re nothing like those in my Avensis) and has also decreed that it’s too small so it’s off the shopping list.
Suzuki Swace - Some views as requested by GB - paul 1963

Thanks Groaver, nice review, Swace is on my list of 'what next'.

Ian's review is far more helpful than mine as an actual user. :)

He's correct about the washing. I can say from personal experience that the bodywork has many unusual curves and creases that if you hurry, can quite easily be missed in parts.

As an aside, the Mazda CX-5 has the same flaw with the auto hold. Every time you start it, you need to press the button to switch it back on. The e-handbrake doesn't automatically come on when the engine switches off if auto hold isn't on either.

Finally, back to Suzuki, I looked on their UK website to see colours for the Swace and ended up swearing at the price of the Across (Rav 4). £50k!!

I note "used" ones on the website with £10k off them.

A car for a PCP/lease, not your own money.

Regarding washing cars, some years ago i invested a fair amount of money in a decent quality Kranzle pressure washer.

A good pressure washer is not headline max psi, you don't want to draw pencil thin lines of damaged paintwork and break rubber seals in light fittings, you want high water volume, preferably above 7 LPM, thus you can have a wide angle of steady spray, and the ability to feed through whatver chemicals and treatments you decide on.

I also use a long handled soft brush for agitation, the type where the bristles wrap almost all around the brush head (i could provide a link to show you the type of head that works wel if anyone wants), if you first blow whatever chemical detergents you prefer via the low pressure setting, literally 10 minutes later after a brief top down brushing you have got into every nook and cranny, i do use a soft specific wheels brush for the alloys, spray down with clean water job done.

After washing, probably every 4th wash i spray the bodywork (avoidng the windscreen) via a snow foam adaptor with Autoglym's Polar Seal, after rinsing that off the film its left on the car is as good as a wax polish and most road dirt doesn't stick, i used it on SWMBO visiting hairdressers car a black Audi SUV, they're old friends, she couldn't believe how long it delayed her car from needing washing again...you could apply this product via a garden sprayer if you prefer hand washing.

There are alternatives to Polar Seal from other makers, and i've bought Coat It via ebay which is Autoglyms 5 litre pack version of the similar product meant for pro valetters use.

Once set up two spotless cars in half an hour tops.

I can thoroughly recommend Bilt Hamber's Touch-on for the after wash treatment. Amazing stuff.

I can thoroughly recommend Bilt Hamber's Touch-on for the after wash treatment. Amazing stuff.

Is that the same sort of product as www.autoglym.com/psl001-polar-seal.html

If you thought the price of Rav was high imagine the shock i had when i ventured into Toyota for some parts for my old Landcruiser lasy year, Hilux from £35k...we bought the top of range 3 litre auto Hilux in 2007 for £21/22k, to be fair they gave me a good discount because i delivered a lot of their new car stock to them and thankfully ordered the car literally days before Top Gear broadcast the North Pole trip, which changed everything re demand for new model Hilux.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/03/2024 at 09:13

Is that the same sort of product as www.autoglym.com/psl001-polar-seal.html

Yes. It does the same job.

BH's Double Speed wax is the best I have found for long-lasting beading.

Suzuki Swace - Some views as requested by GB - Heidfirst

As an aside, the Mazda CX-5 has the same flaw with the auto hold. Every time you start it, you need to press the button to switch it back on.

I suspect that it's mandated behaviour

Finally, back to Suzuki, I looked on their UK website to see colours for the Swace and ended up swearing at the price of the Across (Rav 4). £50k!!

Iirc Suzuki only offer the PHEV version of the RAV4 & in only 1 (high-end) trim?

Toyota offer 2 trims of RAV4 plug-in - 1 from ~£45k & 1 from ~£49k.