Warranty and Brakes - Dingle232

My car is still under its manufacturer's warranty and I need the brake pads replacing on the front and possibly rear. I am pretty reluctant to pay inflated dealer prices but have read conflicting statements as to whether using non-OEM pads (for example) would invalidate the manufacturer's warranty.

My feeling is that it wouldn't as they are serviceable items and as long as they are of equivalent quality, supported by a valid receipt, there's no reason why there should be an issue.

Any definitive advice please?

Warranty and Brakes - Adampr

Have you got any finance on the car?

Warranty and Brakes - badbusdriver

My feeling is that it wouldn't as they are serviceable items and as long as they are of equivalent quality, supported by a valid receipt, there's no reason why there should be an issue.

Any definitive advice please?

Nothing definitive, but I would tend to agree.

There is a but (well but's actually) though, how much longer doe the manufacturers warranty have to go?. Also, how much cheaper will it be to get the brakes one elsewhere?

No there is no finance on the vehicle at all. 2 years left on the warranty and there's about a £150 saving by getting non-dealer work done.

Edited by Dingle232 on 10/02/2024 at 19:25

Warranty and Brakes - gordonbennet

I suspect any failure of any part of the braking system they could try to deny warranty due to non OE friction materials getting the blame for the failure, ie if the ABS module failed...which on some cars are frankly ridiculous prices as the current Honda thread has shown...there's bound to be some small print about parts.

In practice i don't think that would happen, it should be possible to buy genuine parts online or very similar if not identical items from the same brake maker who supplies the car manufacturer, in which case its doubtful anyone would even notice the difference...ie Textar pads could be found on some German cars, same part numbers but come in a Textar box instead of a box with the car makers name but at less than half the cost, i know this as fact because i've done the swap with the car still under approved used warranty and saved the family owner a lot of cash.

I'd try and get the same makeparts as the car maker fits if possible, so in the event of caliper or other failure in the next 2 or 3 years when the mechanic removes the pads if he casts his eyes over the pads they are at least the same make as would have been fitted by dealer workshops.

Warranty and Brakes - elekie&a/c doctor
Out of interest, what make model car is it ?

Thanks that all makes perfect sense to me. Car is an Audi Q5.

Warranty and Brakes - elekie&a/c doctor
If you put that into a main dealer , chances are they will advise discs as well . If you decline the discs , it’s likely that won’t warrant the pads . I’d get the brakes done by a good Indy that uses quality parts .
Warranty and Brakes - badbusdriver

2 years left on the warranty and there's about a £150 saving by getting non-dealer work done.

If there is still 2 years left on the warranty, that surely means the car is only a year old?. Is it normal to need new pads all round after one year?, seems excessive to me.

Your decision of course, but if I was in the position to own a £45+k car, I'm not sure I'd be all that bothered about saving £150 getting brakes done by someone other than the dealer.

Warranty and Brakes - Terry W

For £150 on an expensive car it is just not worth the risk to the warranty of getting them done elsewhere.

If you have no finance, then the rule is simply that the work must be carried out using the same quality parts and to the same quality as if you went to a main dealer.

Personally, I would get it done at the main dealer as eliminates the risk of a dispute further down the line if there are any issues and they try to wriggle out of the warranty.

Warranty and Brakes - bathtub tom

How many miles has it done and how hard do you 'hoon' it? Have the dealer told you how worn (%) the brakes are and given you measurements?

Warranty and Brakes - Andrew-T

I would get it done at the main dealer as eliminates the risk of a dispute further down the line if there are any issues and they try to wriggle out of the warranty.

This is exactly the mild extortion method makers use to extract money from buyers who are worried by the small chance of something happening which very probably won't. In the case of brake pads, I would guess any problem is most likely to arise from the fitting of the pads, rater than the pads themselves - assuming that decent non-OEM pads are fitted ? When we all know that almost identical pads arrive with different badges at different prices, as said above.

Absolutely, but elsewhere on these pages is someone with a very expensive three year old BMW X5, a dismantled engine and a £40k bill. Not going to the main dealer eliminates any 'goodwill' support from manufacturers. It's extortion and it's not on, but I would pay a premium to avoid such tedium if I could.

Warranty and Brakes - John F

My car is still under its manufacturer's warranty and I need the brake pads replacing on the front and possibly rear. .....Any definitive advice please?

Not without knowing the mileage at least. Also, have a look and see how many mm of thickness there are left on the pads. Normal driving should give you around 7000 miles per mm on the front, more on the rear. Quality stuff on quality cars tends to last longer. The original front pads on my Audi A8 'needed' renewing at 70,000 miles, rears were done at 75,000. AFAIR the ones on our Ford Focus only lasted around 50,000 miles. Renewing pads before they are 'need' to be renewed is a profit-boosting activity by unscrupulous garages......'probably won't last till the next service, squire...'